7.16.2010

THE MAGICIANS.




So I just finished reading "The Magicians" by Lev Grossman. It took me a while to read because when I started I was still in school and midterms and finals crept up on me so I had to put it on pause for TWO months. But I finally got around to finishing it and I have to say I was was mildly surprised. The book has a very "Narnia-esque" feel to it and also references both Narnia and Harry Potter. Even though it does reference books more suitable for children, it has some very dark and adult themes. What most reviews have said is that it's the adult version of Harry Potter and I don't disagree with that. The middle lags a bit but the ending was very well written and keeps your attention.

The basic premise of the book is that a a young man named Quentin kind of feels out of place with his friends in his home town of Brooklyn. He has some-what of an unhealthy obsession with a series of children's books (not unlike Harry Potter) that take place in a magical land called Fillory. Quentin ends up being invited to join a very prestigious private college called Brakebills that he soon finds out is a school of magic (hello Hogwarts!). Things take a turn when he finds out that Fillory is actually a real place with real dangers and he has to decide which life is the real life for him; the real world or this magical and somewhat cynical world called Fillory.



Other books I've read this year that I highly recommend:


The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare
The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanna Collins
Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
Water For Elephants by Sarah Gruen

No comments:

Post a Comment