7.18.2010

WHITE CAT.



I finally got back into the swing of reading books within days. It had been a while since I had time to read. So, a couple days I posted that I just finished "The Magicians" by Lev Grossman. I have a stack of books I've been dying to get around to and I've just finished "White Cat" by Holly Black. I know I must have been living under a rock because believe it or not this is my first Holly Black novel. I have to say... I absolutely loved it! It was suspenseful, thrilling and exciting. It shocked me in the beginning when you find out a little bit of the main character's background and then the plots spiral into a mess of problems after that.

The story is about a young man named Cassel Sharpe who comes from a family of curse workers. Curse workers are people who have the power to control your emotions, your luck, your memories and even your death. All they have to do is touch you. All curse workers are considered criminals because curse work is illegal. Even though Cassel comes from a family of workers, he isn't one and therefore feels like an outsider in his own family. He's just a normal teenager in high school, with one exception... he killed his best friend when he was just 14.
After years of trying to forget and trying to fit in, Cassel's problems start when he finds himself sleepwalking and having dreams about a white cat that's trying to tell him something. Also his two brothers seem to be hiding something from him and he guesses that he's part of a huge con game. The only person he has to talk to is his grandad since his mom is in jail for getting caught working. Secrets start to unravel along with his past and he finds out who it is he can really trust and the truth about the murder he committed 3 years ago.


"Red Glove" and "Black Heart" the 1st and 2nd sequel to "White Cat" will be released May 2011 and May 2012 respectively.

*trivia: Jace (from the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare) makes a slight cameo in the book. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment