8.09.2011

GUILTLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE.

I had an excess of over-ripe bananas so I found a recipe that incorporated them. This is a vegan chocolate cake recipe and it turned out delicious!

Here was the recipe that I found from egglesscooking.com

Dry Ingredients:
  • 2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
  • 1 and 1/3 cup Granulated Sugar (See My Notes #2)
  • 2/3 cup Cocoa Powder
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
Wet Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup Canola Oil
  • 1 and 1/2 cups Hot Water
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • 1 cup Mashed or Pureed Bananas
Procedure:
  1. Preheat the oven at 350F/180C for 15 minutes. Spray a bundt pan with non stick cooking spray.
  2. In a large bowl mix together the dry ingredients and keep it aside.
  3. Mash enough bananas to measure one cup
  4. To the flour mixture add the canola oil, hot water and vanilla extract; mix well.
  5. Now add the bananas and blend thoroughly
  6. The cake batter is quite “water-y”. Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake for approximately from 45-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
I followed the recipe as is but I also added a pinch of salt to bring out the chocolaty flavor. It could have used a little more salt actually because it tastes sweet but the savory could have helped. I also used this simple glaze as well:

1 cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
(to make it vegan just use nondairy milk like soy and make sure your other ingredients are vegan)


After I let the cake cool



I inverted the bundt cake onto a plate



I made the glaze measuring out the powdered sugar, adding the vanilla and the soy milk one tablespoon at a time until I got the consistency that I wanted



Then you just pour the glaze onto the cake and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment